Former 2 storey ward blocks for patients of Turner Village hospital. The crescent originally comprised 8 villas however 1 has been unsympathetically replaced.
The crescent of villas were built as part of the larger Turner village which is historically/culturally important in north Colchester/Mile End. Turner village formed was built as part of the Essex Hospital (The Royal Eastern Counties Institution) which closed in 1985. Work commenced on Turner village in 1932. The Crescent was built in the Neo Georgian style and the design was intended to reflect the forward thinking approach of those involved in the project at the time.
Turner Village was built at a cost of £146,359. It was officially opened by the Duke of Kent in 1935 and officially closed in April 2001.
External Links (0)
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.