986/0/10067 HIGH STREET 18-JUN-07 War Memorial in the churchyard of St M ary's Church
II First World War Memorial with additions from the Second World War and conflicts in Northern Ireland. Constructed of granite with stone base.
The memorial takes the form of a 3.35m tall Latin cross. The slightly tapering cross shaft surmounts a sloping plinth placed on four square steps standing on a high stone base. Inscriptions in black lettering on the sides of the plinth.
Inscription ON WEST FACE reads IN MEMORY OF/THE BRAVE MEN OF WIVENHOE/WO LOST THEIR LIVES THROUGH/THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918/ (NAMES)/'LEST WE FORGET'
Inscription ON NORTH FACE reads TO THE HONOURED MEMORY/OF THOSE OF THIS PARISH/WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN/THE WORLD WAR OF 1939-1945/ (NAMES)
Inscription ON SOUTH FACE reads PTE JAMES HOUSTON/KING'S OWN SCOTTISH BORDERERS/KILLED: NORTHERN IRELAND 13.12.89
SOURCES: UK National Inventory of War Memorials ref: 22425
HISTORY: This war memorial was unveiled on 19 June 1921 by Lt Col T Gibbons.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: War memorials have a very strong historical and cultural significance on both a local and national scale. Erected in 1921, this simple cross is a good example of a memorial which commemorates the fallen of both World Wars, as well as one soldier from the conflicts in Northern Ireland. It has additional interest for its relationship with the Grade II* listed St Mary's Church
External Links (0)
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.